Got the engine, suspension, and tank on the new frame to do a little mockup for the seat loop. As I'm taking the wiring harness off the old frame, I'm starting to wish I had the seat pan made slightly deeper to accommodate all the electrical bits a little more comfortably. Also included a photo of the parts I've painted, when I'm ready to put it all back together.
A buddy fabricated this pedestal, it sits on the top of the mono shock mount and will hold up the seat loop. He had the idea to drill press several holes in it to match the front fender bracket.
Notched the Suzuki tank to fit over the Buell frame.- There's a weird engine mount that hangs over the right side of the frame that we needed to make some more room for. The backside of tank will sit a lot higher than the old one, the new seat will sit about 5-6 inches higher than the stock seat/subframe. Also included a rough photoshop mockup (w/out new seat loop structure.)
I added some beefier tires. The original tires are 16" but the back was a little wider. I went with the same size for front and back- duel sport shinko brand.
I finished the front end, pictured above. I found the light bucket on eBay- it has two bulbs w/a flip up visor. The front fender and bracket is from an old KTM bike. I had to cut a few inches off the back end of it.
Because the stock frame has the oil reservoir within, it's pretty wide. -And especially hard to find a tank with enough clearance underneath to fit over the frame. I was originally going to use the Suzuki Savage gas tank but ultimately decided to go with the Suzuki GS450 because it has less of a cruiser/chopper shape to it.(most of the GS model tanks will fit over this frame, although, the GS550 is cutting it pretty close) There's an engine mount that hangs off the frame; the tank will need to be cut and modified to fit over it.
Below is a better photo of the custom seat that I had made by Pete Sykes at VintageSykles.com - a good quality aluminum welded product, made to order. Because I'll probably only be riding one-up on this bike, I had the seat made very short.
Pictured below is the bike as I received it. It was in running condition except the tires were completely bald and it looked as if it had been stored outdoors for a long time.
Pictured above is the Buell frame. Bellow, a photo of the frame after I chopped the sub frame.
I forgot to mention earlier that I have two identical frames for this Buell. -The purpose being that I have a rolling chasis that I can move in and out of my garage when I need to make room for other projects. As I finish aspects of the bike I plan on moving them from the rolling chasis over to the chopped frame.
The airbox on the stock Blast takes up a ridiculous amount of space (almost as much as the engine). I chopped off the airbox mount and purchased a carb flange, UNI filter, boot, and jetting kit from D-C Parts. Pictured below, I painted the flange w/engine paint. I plan on highlighting some of the cooler details with that same yellow paint. -everything else on the bike will probably just be a plane matte black.
I started this shoe string budget project by trading some old revolvers for a 500cc Buell Blast. A 38 special Smith & Wesson, a Ruger 357 Vaquero, and a Swiss- made Hamerli 357 (pictured below).
I originally wanted to use a BSA A-65 Lightning frame that I already had (pictured above). I finally decided to use the original Buell frame for two reasons: (1) the oil reservoir is within the frame and didn't want to mess with mounting a tank somewhere to it. (2)The original frame has some extremely sturdy engine mounts because the big single vibrates like hell under about 50mph.